I think anybody who likes cooking, likes cooking with high quality ingredients but sometimes it can be a mission to find the right supplier and more important to make some research on how the vegetables, fruits, meats, etc. you buy from your suppliers respect your ethic and values.
It can also simply be difficult to find THE product that a recipe calls such as Tonka beans! It just happens to me this week…where in Cape Town can I buy Tonka beans???!
Well, I am pointed my arm forward, putting myself in horizontal position with my blue costume on and a red triangle in front to hopefully help you in your research by listing below where I get my ingredients for my cooking classes.
And because I believe that one of the best thing in life is sharing, I would like to invite you to add to my list! Merci!
- Frankie meat merchants, 8 kloof street, Cape Town / 021 424 7204 / www.ffmm.co.za
Whole duck, duck breasts, prosciutto
- Coniglio rabbit meat at Krazy Kiwi, Wellington road, Durbanville /0 21 976 5568 / http://buyrabbitmeat.co.za/?page_id=351 or Stand 37 V&A Market / 071 042 8930 / http://www.marketonthewharf.co.za/market-on-the-wharf1.html
Rabbit-whole, hopper wings, sausages, patties, potjie
- Food from the Karoo, in the Karoo, 0826503506 / http://www.foodfromthekaroo.com/
They deliver whole chicken, beef, game meats, diced bacon, farm butter, camembert, brie
- Idelid, Johannesburg / 0824522845 / www.idelid.com
They deliver quality Polish, Italian, German, Spanish, Swiss, and Hungarian matured meat products,
Here is a list of restaurants and retailers that use pasture reared food: http://www.farmerangus.co.za/2012/03/05/clients/
- Hout Bay Harbour
- Kalk Bay Harbour
- Fish Hoek Fisheries / Main road / 021 782 2314
No where else you’ll have such a quality hake! While waiting for the fish to be filleted the order a fish and chips take away (absolutely divine!)
FRUITS AND VEGS
- Organic zone / Lakeside close to Total station / 021 788 3133 / http://www.organiczone.co.za/
Organic lemon, oranges, pears, apples, spinach, Jerusalem artichokes, sprouts, candy beetroots, wild garlic, carrots, potatoes…
- Cocoafair / Old biscuit mill / 0214477355 / http://www.cocoafair.com/
Raw cocoa nibs, 65%, 75%, 85% chocolates, white chocolates, milk chocolates, praline
- Saszali/ Cape Town / 0793585250 / http://www.saszali.co.za
Most amazing flavoured individual chocolates (coffee roast, vanilla orchid, authentic rooibos, golden thyme…)